So here's the story: When I was in grad school in Chicago I worked part time as a cashier at a bakery and got addicted. I didn't just get addicted to all the cookies, pasties, and amazing breads we had, but I got addicted to the smells, the waking up early to have artisan breads waiting for customers as they started their work day, the attention to detail, the living qualities of a great bread, and simply the process of creating something so capable of affecting all the senses. I have to make a disclaimer though - I never did any baking! I just observed our bakers every time I had the chance as I passed through the back of the bakery to get supplies or to clock in and out. Now being a couple years removed from that job, I still have this addiction and decided to do something about it. So here it goes. The plan is to make something for my coworkers every Monday morning. For starters I am going to use Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Everyday and see how the recipes work out for me. Eventually, I will branch out and work on some recipes of my own. All comments and suggestions are welcome - and feel free to point out any major mistakes.
Enjoy and Happy Monday!

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Really Getting Comfortable with Cinnamon Rolls and Sticky Buns

My laziness has kind of taken over lately and resulted in me falling back on the Cinnamon Rolls and Sticky Buns. So last week's absence of posting was just because I made the rolls again and there really wasn't much new to talk about. Although I did try a different recipe for the slurry for the Sticky Buns. This one used heavy whipping cream, which I thought was interesting. The result was a fluffier slurry and not-so-sticky Sticky Buns. Still tasted great, but didn't have that caramelized pull out your fillings stickiness that I like.
Tomorrow I am going to cheat and make some honey buns from a mix so I will have a post on that later this week.
And then next week, I will have a special guest to post on the blog: my sister!
We have about 10 different ideas for an all day baking session so you can look forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment