So here's the story: When I was in grad school in Chicago I worked part time as a cashier at a bakery and got addicted. I didn't just get addicted to all the cookies, pasties, and amazing breads we had, but I got addicted to the smells, the waking up early to have artisan breads waiting for customers as they started their work day, the attention to detail, the living qualities of a great bread, and simply the process of creating something so capable of affecting all the senses. I have to make a disclaimer though - I never did any baking! I just observed our bakers every time I had the chance as I passed through the back of the bakery to get supplies or to clock in and out. Now being a couple years removed from that job, I still have this addiction and decided to do something about it. So here it goes. The plan is to make something for my coworkers every Monday morning. For starters I am going to use Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Everyday and see how the recipes work out for me. Eventually, I will branch out and work on some recipes of my own. All comments and suggestions are welcome - and feel free to point out any major mistakes.
Enjoy and Happy Monday!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Soda Bread

Well I lied. I will post about donuts and filled Paczki later. Today we have more important things like St. Patrick's Day to talk about. St. Patrick's Day is great because it highlights great Irish traditions, food and culture. My favorite among these is ... whiskey. But this isn't a booze blog, it's a baking blog. So my real favorite among these is ... Soda Bread! Now like most things you will eat and drink on St. Patrick's Day, the Soda Bread that you see here isn't entirely the same as its authentic Irish counterpart. Thus, I titled this post Soda Bread and not IRISH Soda Bread. Just like how Corned Beef and Cabbage isn't an Irish delicacy and green Bud Light is an abomination to distinguished Irish drinking heritage (Guinness, Jamesons, etc.), the Soda Bread that we have here isn't truly authentic. It sure evolved from the Irish original, but isn't quite the same. Like I have mentioned before, most breads were developed through very simple means. Irish Soda Bread was originally a peasants bread consisting of flour (usually whole wheat), baking soda (as the leavening agent), salt, and buttermilk (because it was around as a by product of making butter). The two key ingredients here are the baking soda and buttermilk - those are what keep this Soda Bread somewhat authentic. The additions over the years of sugar, raisins and caraway seeds, although delicious, are not truly authentic to the original. This recipe here was passed on up to me from my sister and turned out to be a tasty, sweet version that is totally acceptable to me and my 0% Irish palette. So I hope you enjoy it.
Ingredients:
  • 4 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 heaping teaspoon of kosher salt or 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1 cup raisins
Recipe:
  1. Combine all the dry ingredients (except the raisins) in a large mixing bowl.
  2. Mix in the buttermilk and raisins gradually until a wet dough forms.
  3. On a floured surface work the dough just enough to form it into a round loaf about 2 to 3 inches high and about 8 to 9 inches in diameter. Don't work the dough too much and there is no reason why you should knead this dough. Working and kneading it too much will only result in a tougher final product.
  4. Place your loaf on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and cut a cross into the top. I would say to cut about 1 inch deep into the top of the dough.
  5. Bake at a 450 for 15 minutes and then rotate the loaf and turn down the heat to 400 and bake for another 25 minutes.
  6. Let cool for at least an hour. I let mine cool overnight.
Some people are particular about having their Soda Bread with butter and jelly, but this loaf will taste great all by itself. Try it any way you like. It doesn't really matter, it will all taste the same after you've had a few pints and your ears are bleeding from all the bagpipes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment