So here's the story: When I was in grad school in Chicago I worked part time as a cashier at a bakery and got addicted. I didn't just get addicted to all the cookies, pasties, and amazing breads we had, but I got addicted to the smells, the waking up early to have artisan breads waiting for customers as they started their work day, the attention to detail, the living qualities of a great bread, and simply the process of creating something so capable of affecting all the senses. I have to make a disclaimer though - I never did any baking! I just observed our bakers every time I had the chance as I passed through the back of the bakery to get supplies or to clock in and out. Now being a couple years removed from that job, I still have this addiction and decided to do something about it. So here it goes. The plan is to make something for my coworkers every Monday morning. For starters I am going to use Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Everyday and see how the recipes work out for me. Eventually, I will branch out and work on some recipes of my own. All comments and suggestions are welcome - and feel free to point out any major mistakes.
Enjoy and Happy Monday!

Monday, November 15, 2010

Easiest Bread You Will Ever Make

One of the best memories I have from the bakery was grabbing a Ciabatta roll as I walked out the door and then eating it on my bike ride home. The best thing about the Ciabatta was that it was so chewy that it would actually hurt my jaw by the time I was done with it - which was the entire 15 minute bike ride back to my apartment. So I have been super excited to try out Ciabatta for some time now. But I'm kind of a lazy guy and all the Ciabatta recipes I have found have been too involved for me to get motivated to try them out. Until I stumbled upon this one: One Minute Ciabatta Bread.
It is simply the easiest bread you will ever make. Which begs the question, "Why are so many people turned off from making their own bread?" When I first read this recipe (1/4 tspn yeast, 1 tspn salt, 2 cups warm water, 4 cups flour) I thought it was too simple to turn into anything resembling bread. Mostly because all the other recipes I've been reading have been so technical and precise. But then I realized, like most anything else around the kitchen, bread was kind of just discovered by trail and error - and it was a basic staple that even the simplest folks in history could make.
Most breads are derived from simple recipes that were created by people just trying to combine some yeast, flour, and water - and salt usually helped too. So this recipe, although seemingly too simple, turns out to be a great easy-to-make bread.
I don't need to repeat the recipe here, but the process is basically, mix the yeast and water, then add the salt and flour to make a wet batter. Then let it sit for about 8 to 12 hours. I've been using an oiled parchment lined cookie sheet to bake mine. Cover the dough/batter with your favorite herbs or cheese. I've been using some Rosemary that I scored from work and some Asiago cheese left over from the bagels. (The first-try loaves shown here resulted in a momma loaf and baby loaf because it is a little tricky to get the wet dough out of the mixing bowl and onto the cookie sheet - try your best with shaping the loaves, but be careful not to "deflate" the loaves because you want that open crumb for a true Ciabatta) Then pop it all in the oven at 400F for about 25 minutes - mine have been taking a little longer and have been a little doughy/wet for my taste in the center so I think I might crank the temp up a little bit on my next try.
Give it a shot and let me know how it works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment